In recent decades, information and communication technology has provided benefits to the community with large areas of new communications capabilities. in education, especially in language learning ICT (information and communications technology) has brought about a rapid impact in the advancement of language learning. The uses of ICT will enable to facilitate the intercommunication of teachers and students.
Firstly, what is the definition of information and communications technology (ICT) its self ? Stands for “Information and Communication Technologies.” ICT refers to technologies that provide access to information through telecommunications. It is similar to Information Technology (IT), but focuses primarily on communication technologies.
Along with the development of technology and communications, the world of education are making use of communication technology will progress to maximize the learning process. computers, the Internet, projector, radio, television and many others are examples of tools of communication technology will often be used in language learning. for example, the Internet. Language teachers can create lessons website on a website, teachers can provide additional materials, post assignments, and directly shows how to apply ICT in learning. while for the students, they can access the site lessons, and tasks provided by teachers, they also can add their experience and knowledge through ICT. Internet also can increase students’ reference, because the artifacts inrenet learning applications such as online dictionaries, encyclopedias and various other learning materials.
Briefly here are the benefits of the use of ICT in language learning:
- Through ICT, images can easily be used in teaching and improving the retentive memory of students.
- Through ICT, teachers can easily explain complex instructions and ensure students’ comprehension.
- Through ICT, teachers are able to create interactive classes and make the lessons more enjoyable, which could improve student attendance and concentration.
- ICT can speed up the language learning process by offering additional opportunities for practice outside the classroom.
- Real life learning, reality of virtuality.There is little doubt that , language teachers, need to focus on the use of language, and ICT make it easy for us to do so, especially after the use of internet as a didactic tool. Bringing a sense of reality also contributes to facilitate learners be less dependent, fostering their autonomy. Of course this has created an intense demand on the teacher to be selective (to tell the trees from the forest) and to adapt the wide variety of resources at hand to the variety of students.
- Meaningful learning, through the use of ICT teachers can demonstrate that it provides the material in real life. students get a clear visualization of the material being taught.
However, there are some disadvantages of the use of ICT in the field of language learning:
- Setting up the devices can be very troublesome.
- Too expensive to afford
- Hard for teachers to use with a lack of experience using ICT tools
In short, integrating ICT into education seems to be a necessary issue for educators / education administrators in the world. However, if teachers cannot make good use of the ICT tools, the money and time spent on the ICT is going to be a waste. Also, if the educational budget is limited, looking for a cost-effective and high-performance ICT tool can be the first priority. Educational ICT tools are not for making educators master ICT skills themselves, but for making educators create a more effective learning environment via ICT.